Ceramic Tile Cleaning Mistakes to Avoid
Most homeowners prefer to use ceramic tiles in the bathroom as they are easy to clean. But there are times when you can’t clean them regularly. This can lead to buildup of suds, scum, and even molds not only on the tiles but on the grout lines as well.
That said, cleaning shower tiles must be done on a regular basis if you want to be free from the unsightly buildup. And when it comes to ceramic tile cleaning, one of our recommended cleanser is Bar Keeper’s Friend Soft Cleanser.
Why Ceramic Tiles are Perfect for the Bathroom
Why are ceramic tiles often chosen for the bathroom? Here are a few known reasons:
- Water resistant. Water resistant tiles are what you need in the bathroom. Which is exactly what you will get with ceramic tiles. Installing glazed ceramic tiles is the best way to prevent water from harming your tiles, but they will need regular cleaning too.
- Durable. Another plus to ceramic tiles is that they are durable and can last you years.
- Affordable. Unlike natural stones, ceramic tiles are cheaper hence they are frequently seen in bathrooms all over the world.
- Low-maintenance. Ceramic tiles cleaning done regularly is enough to keep your bathroom tiles happy. But you will need the right homemade grout cleaner to remove stubborn stains on grout and tiles.
Tile Cleaning Mistakes That You Should Avoid
Cleaning ceramic tiles is important if you don’t want to end up with a dark and dingy bathroom at home. Part of learning how to do ceramic tile cleaning is knowing the common mistakes we tend to make when it comes to ceramic tiles. Here are a few that are worth taking note of.
- Wet Mopping. Most of us are guilty of making this mistake which is mopping your floors with a wet and dirty mop. Take note that the dirty water from the mop can easily get into the grout lines as well as glazed tiles that you end up damaging them in the long run.
- Harsh Chemicals. Cleaning grout with bleach is something that we do without fail, but you should stop for a while and think of the effects of harsh cleaners on your glazed tiles and grout lines. Too much bleach can stain or discolor your shower tiles which can be avoided if you choose mild cleansers like The Crown Choice Bar Keeper’s Friend Soft Cleanser.
- Abrasive Brushes. Sometimes we tend to clean the bathroom tiles with whatever is available. Unfortunately, if you are using abrasive brushes, you can scratch the surface of your tiles and even affect your grout lines too. Be careful with what you choose to help maintain your ceramic tiles.
How to Do Ceramic Tile Cleaning Safely
Cleaning grout with bleach does help get rid of the stubborn stains and buildup, but since bleach is a harsh cleaner, it may have some negative effects on your tiles and grout, not to mention your health too.
Hiring for tile and grout cleaning services can get the job done fast, but they will cost you.
Is there any way to do ceramic tile cleaning safely?
You can make use of known household solutions like baking soda, vinegar, dish soap, or a combination of these ingredients to create your own homemade grout cleaner. Here’s how.
Baking Soda and Water
Step 1: Add some baking soda in a small bowl.
Step 2: Pour a small amount of water into the bowl.
Step 3: Mix the ingredients until you create a paste.
Step 4: Apply the paste on your tiles and grout lines and allow to sit for a few minutes.
Step 5: Use a scrub brush or non-scour pad to scrub the tiles and grout lines.
Step 6: Rinse and dry thoroughly.
Baking Soda and Vinegar
Step 1: Prepare some baking soda in a small bowl.
Step 2: Pour vinegar into the bowl.
Note: There will be a reaction between these ingredients so you should pour your vinegar carefully.
Step 3: Use an old toothbrush to mix the ingredients into a paste then apply on the stained areas and stubborn buildup.
Step 4: Leave the paste for a few minutes then brush gently.
Step 5: Rinse afterward and wipe it clean.
Switch to Safe Cleaners with the Bar Keeper’s Friend
Have you ever wished that you can do ceramic tile cleaning without worrying about your health? This is possible with The Bar Keeper’s Friend. This mild cleansing solution is quite safe on your tiles and grout lines. Simply apply a small amount on the affected area, wait for a few minutes for the solution to work, and scrub thoroughly. Use together with the home scrubber to get the job done quickly.
Find out more how The Bar Keeper’s Friend works here and get to reveal the natural beauty of your ceramic tiles quickly!