Best Grout Cleaning Solutions: 5 Top Products to Try
Updated September 29, 2021
Scrubbing the dirt and grime out of your grout, tiles, and floor included can indeed be a hassle. With this being said, it won’t be a shocker anymore if you’re going to look for some of the quickest and cheapest ways to make it clean and sparkle.
You, like many homeowners, may turn to YouTube videos for DIY grout cleaners or grout cleaning techniques. But don’t be fooled by these promising DIYs. Just because they look like something most likely to work doesn’t always mean it’s best for your grout!
One fact to start with, stiff bristle brushes can harm your grout. Hard scrubbing with a rigid wire with stiff bristles as a brush can remove not just the dirt and grime. It can easily damage the grout too.
Instead of stiff-bristled wire brushes, use a soft brush with a professionally graded brush that targets dirt without ruining the surfaces you’re trying to clean and protect.
Here’s some information that might help answer the question: do grout cleaning tools work?
Causes of grout discoloration
Dirty grout is relatively a common issue. Job conditions are the usual causes of discolored grout joints. Having strict attention to these factors that cause uneven curing can bring about uniform grout installations.
Here are reasons how grouts can become discolored:
Improper mixing of grouts
Too much water used when mixing the grout can cause discoloration later on. Following the manufacturer’s directions carefully can make a difference. Never add more water after initial mixing so that your grout mixture can rehydrate.
Excessive use of water in cleaning
Too much water when cleaning up causes the grout to have more water absorption in some places than others. Make sure to use clean water, then afterward, clean your sponges during the cleanup.
Leaving plastic spacers
Tile spacers are little plastic devices that are typically shaped like a “T” or a cross. When laying your tiles on the mortar, they keep a regular distance or gap between them.
When it comes time to grout your tiles, this ensures an even finish. Avoid leaving plastic spacers in the grout joints if you want to keep your tile grout clean.
Applying grout at a specific time
Keep in mind the time of day when you place your grouts. During the cooler parts of the day, grouts will cure darker or slower than those set in earlier parts of the day when it is warmer.
Too much heat or sunlight
When only one area is exposed to sunlight will cause grouts cure faster and lighter than those in the shaded area.
Exposure to extreme temperatures
Areas exposed to either direct heat or blowing air conditioning can cause the draft to have uneven curing and variations.
Depth of grout joint
Keeping your grout joints in a sufficient depth will help prevent this problem. Grout joints should be cleaned out before grouting, and have a proper amount of waiting time allows the setting bed to be set entirely.
Uneven glazed edge of tiles
Ceramic tiles that have run-over glaze on the sides can cause grouts to cure unevenly, especially when glaze runs over the side of one tile and is placed against a tile where there is no glaze.
Walking over the grout joints before they cure fully also causes discoloration.
Features of a great grout cleaning brush
The best grout cleaner can be hard to find right away. Features of best grout bristles scrub tough mildew, grime, and soap scum from grout, shower door tracks, bathtubs, and more.
Handle designs should also provide maximum comfort while allowing your scrubbing to be at any angle that gives you extra scrubbing powers. Here are tips on features you should look for in your tile grout cleaner.
Unique yet effective shapes
Grout cleaning brushes should allow effective grout cleaning through seams, joints, and corners fast and easy with its form.
Solid and durable
Grout cleaning brushes should be narrow with angled bristles to delve deep into the grout for a spotless and easy corner cleaning. Vigorous scrub brushes clean tough grime and soap residue from grout, shower wall, door tracks, bathtubs, and more.
Grout brush scrubbing comfort
Scrub handles should be extra wide at 1 inch so that it molds perfectly to your hand, giving you an easier grip for power scrubbing. In addition, this brush should work both for left and right hands to prevent cramps.
Tile and grout cleaning scrub brushes should clean grimy grout, tile floors, joints around the house and outside, allowing you deep cleaning in all parts of your home.
Easy to use
It should be safe and easy to use on all surfaces and easy to wash using only warm soapy water.
Reasons why you should use grout cleaning brushes
Grout cleaning involves those hard-to-clean places that usually get disregarded during your regular cleaning. Eventually, this incident can become a hassle over time, resulting in dingy and looking yellowed grouts, or worse, becoming very moldy.
Some critical factors to consider in choosing grout cleaning brushes to tackle these stubborn stains are as follows:
The kind of stains
Floor tiles that get loads of usual foot traffic and builds up dirt quickly might not require a robust cleaning solution and a tile grout cleaner (a brush that is) that goes with it.
But tiles in a bathroom that don’t get excellent airflow and ventilation which show early signs of mold or mildew growth might need a more concentrated solution with chlorine bleach, minimizing the amount of scrubbing required.
The kind of surface
Using grout cleaning brushes with a cleaning solution can provide different results depending on the surface you use it. For example, natural stone like marble is more porous and can discolor when harsh cleaners are used. But ceramic and porcelain tiles can handle bleach-containing cleaners.
Knowing the kind of surfaces you can use grout cleaning brushes on will also help you understand how multipurpose brushes are and whether or not you can use them on other areas of your home as well.
The cleaning solution you’ll pair it with
Most grout cleaning solutions come as sprays or foam sprays. They are easy to apply but can be a hassle when used on vertical surfaces because they drip easily. Gels stay better but may require more rinsing. On the other hand, Bleach pens can be great for touch-ups or small areas but wouldn’t be efficient in larger areas.
When choosing the best grout cleaner, you want one with angled bristles. For regular brushes, those with narrow or angled shapes help target grout lines. In addition, brush heads with a larger surface area will come in handy if you have a large floor to tackle.
Top 4 (plus 1) best grout cleaners
Here are some of the best-recommended tile grout cleaning brushes which contribute to the best ways to clean grout in your households:
The Crown Choice Power Grout Brush: The Overall Best Grout Cleaner
The Crown Choice Power Grout Brush is considered the best grout brush that helps whiten and deep clean years of the dirty grout line and elbow grease you have anywhere.
It is heavy-duty and has a pretty compact brush. It is so easy to use throughout the home, too. Not just in your bathroom, you can also use it in the kitchen, backsplash, fireplace, toilets, shower, and so much more.
Watch dirt and grime embedded in the grout lift off and go from black or brown to sparkling white grout again. Very easy to clean even after brushing the entire floor.
What we like:
- Uniquely shaped, the best grout brush available in the market.
- It has heavy-duty angled bristles that get deep into grout, an excellent tile and grout scrubber.
- Offers strong scrubbing comfort with a broad and comfortable handle.
- A comfortable tile grout cleaner that works for both left- and right-handed people.
What we don’t like:
None! Customers have rated this as a 5-star product that offers very little to no drawbacks at all!
Full Circle Grunge Buster Grout Brush: The Best Eco-friendly Grout Cleaner
This grout brush from Full Circle is made of bamboo and recycled plastic. It works on even the toughest grout stains.
What we like:
- Perfectly shaped for getting out grout lines.
- Large enough for tile floors, counters, or tubs.
- Comfortable to use and sits upright for faster drying.
What we don’t like:
- Not ergonomic when used in tubs.
- Bristles can be a little too stiff when in use.
- It doesn’t scrub grime that efficiently.
OXO Deep Clean Brush Set: The Best 2-in-1 Grout Cleaning Set
This set comes with two pieces of brush from OXO. It includes two cleaning brushes with tough bristles, very sturdy for usage. The smaller one has a built-in wiper blade which is best for removing dirt from drains and crevices.
What we like:
- It can get into grout lines efficiently.
- Best also for other places like faucets and drains.
- It holds up well, not getting soft and losing its shape after brushing.
What we don’t like:
- One is relatively ineffective without the other piece.
- It may be tiny for others.
- The grip may be an issue, especially for those with more extensive hands.
Rubbermaid Power Scrubber with All-Purpose Grout Head: The Best Electrical Device for Cleaning Grout
This electric scrubber from Rubbermaid gets the hard work done for you. It has oscillating heads that scrub 60 times per second powered by four AA batteries that are included.
What we like:
- Perfect for targeting grout lines
- Minimizes levels of elbow grease you can experience
- Has interchangeable accessory brushes, giving you the right tool for any job
What we don’t like:
- Since it’s battery-powered, it may become relatively ineffective without batteries
- Water may damage its electronic parts
- Its oscillating heads may tend to be fast for some people
Foxtrot Living Grout Brush with Long Handle: The Best Grout Brush for Stubborn Grout Stains
If you have a large floor to tackle, this affordable brush with an extendable, telescoping handle will help you cover a larger area in less time.
The brush head nestles right into the grout crevices, removing built-up dirt with ease. We expected the bristles to fray after our vigorous scrubbing, but they looked as stiff as when we pulled it out of the box. Plus, it’s slender and easy to store.
What we like:
- Best for large floor jobs.
- It has an extendable, telescoping hand.
- Affordable compared to other options.
What we don’t like:
- Bristles may fray after vigorous scrubbing.
- It may require you to buy a new set if some parts get broken.
- It cannot help you in tight areas and places.
Tips and tricks for keeping a clean grout
Grouts keep the tiles in your bathrooms together, but because of its porous and light-colored nature, it is quite prone to have stains and damage from water.
Freshly installed grout looks beautiful and clean, but without proper cleaning and maintenance, it eventually becomes stained, mildewed, and even cracked – making grout cleaning so much of a hassle.
When it starts cracking and falling, water seeps right in behind the walls and causes significant damage. Here are some practical tips and tricks on how you can keep your grouts at home clean and tidy.
Everyday Cleaning Routine
- Daily wiping and spraying after taking a bath or shower are essential in keeping your tiles clean, preventing any premature staining and damage.
- Get a good squeegee so that every time you shower or take a bath. You can pass the squeegee on the tile and glass walls and doors afterward, removing any excess water.
- Spray your tile and glass lightly with a mild, daily shower cleaner. You can even make your own – mix a 4:1 water to vinegar solution, and that’s it! Many cleaning brands have everyday shower cleaners, so try and see which one you like best.
- Keeps your shower or bath clean daily, reducing the amount of time needed for you to spend scrubbing. But don’t get too comfy in cleaning – this daily routine doesn’t mean you get away from your weekly maintenance.
Weekly Deep Cleaning
- Give your bathroom floor a deep clean at least every week or every two weeks, if worse comes to worst. Even with daily efforts, body oils and soap scum will still cling their way to the surfaces.
- Give your grout a nice preventative and effective clean with a paste made from water and baking soda. Using your Power Grout Brush from The Crown Choice, rub it in the grout and rinse it after with clear water.
PRO TIP: Use hydrogen peroxide instead of water if the grout seems a little more stained than usual.
Investing in grout cleaning tools
The beauty of your floor has an influence on the structure and feel of the rest of your home. Cleaning your tile floors and grout can ensure that you create a nice first impression every time. You’ll feel more at ease entertaining friends, and you’ll enjoy your time at home.
When you have tile flooring, you must ensure that they are well-maintained. This will help them last longer while also improving their appearance.
With all the information you got from today, you are now set on a path: getting the best way to clean the grout in your household. But if you do not invest in grout cleaning tools, you can only do so much.
The tips and tricks provided in this article are some of the best options for you to try! But when it comes to investing in grout cleaning tools, nothing offers you the best but The Crown Choice only.
With the Power Grout Brush and all other cleaning tools and materials, you’re on a sure route towards not only beautifying your homes but keeping you and your family safe from any microscopic harm brought about by uncleaned grouts.